Monday, March 28, 2011

Favorite Tool - Elbow rests




As a lampworker (beadmaker) I spend a lot of time sitting, which isn't all that great for my already compromised back. When I set up my work station I had one of my physio people come in and look at how I had things set up. He raised my chair and mentioned I needed something to rest my elbows on. I had a piece of black foam for a long time but it finally compressed down and was almost useless. I had seen bean bag style elbow pads but often they were fabric, which would of course get holes fast with hot glass bits flying about. I cannot unfortunately remember where I found these leather ones but I love them. They are easy to clean and don't burn through if a hot piece of glass happens to land on them.

8 comments:

mcstoneworks said...

Very cool, Nicole

Nicole Valentine-Rimmer said...

A ergonomically correct work bench is very important. These really help my wrists, my arms tend to "float" less with proper elbow rests.

EleganceandSparkles said...

Interesting tool!

Jeanne/J3Jewelry said...

Good mention! I have nice padding on my chair arms and I can tell they help. They're probably not ergonomically positioned for maximum effect, though.

Caron Michelle said...

Never heard of them Nicole but could you try and make some yourself with leather? What a great idea.

Cat said...

That's nothing I could use while making jewelry, but it does look interesting for my desk at work!

AMDesignsbyAngela said...

Interesting post...they look very similar to the sandbags used hammering metal.

DawninCal said...

Great idea!

While many of us are always in search of cool new tools, I think we often forget to take care of our backs, shoulders, wrists, hands, etc.

This blog entry is a good reminder of how important that is.