Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Come on and be my little good luck charm

Hands. Wrists. Arms. Although I liked to draw as a child I never managed to draw them right. Somewhere along the line I found I should leave it to people who really know what they are doing.
Like Ben Mann. When I found his hand study on Etsy, I looked at it for some time and I came back again and again. I tried to imagine the face behind these hands, the emotion that made the hand clasp the wrist. And my mind came up with more than one story, so I haven't come to a conclusion yet, well, one. I really do like this print.


In our team wrists (and bracelets) have been quite the subject lately and it has made me think about the history of the charm bracelet. Wikipedia, here I come.
"A charm bracelet is an item of jewelry worn around the wrist. It carries personal "charms": decorative pendants or trinkets which signify important things in the wearer's life."
Obviously charms have been worn forever, in the beginning possibly as amulets to ward off evil spirits and bad luck.
Although popularity waned from time to time, charms kept coming back. Queen Victoria wore them, soldiers brought them home for their loved ones, for teenagers of the 60s they were kind of a protocol for the events in their life.
And Elvis sung about them in 1961.
Almost 40 years later charm bracelets are still a big hit. Either you collect the charms yourself as a memory of life phases or special events or you get an artisan bracelet for which I brought you a few examples.


By the way, in Germany they are called "Bettelarmband", translated "beggar's bracelet". There are different theories about that name, but mostly people think it comes from "begging" the charms together (or getting them as a gift), one by one.

Last but not least there are bracelets made by many artisans, like the ones participating in the SATeam giveaway.
For more information about the sale going on the participating team shops check out our Etsy team page!

By Cat's Wire

Don't forget - it's the SATeam Wrist Candy Holiday Giveaway and you can win a fabulous charm bracelet if you enter until November 28th!
Click here for more info!

The SATeam blog features artisan handmade creations by the etsy starving artists jewelry team. SATeam members create handcrafted jewelry and beads. More information about our team and its current etsy shop owner members can be found at SATEAM.etsy.com.

10 comments:

mcstoneworks said...

Thank you for the interesting information on charm bracelets. The SATeam Charm Bracelet that is to be given away to a lucky winner November 30, is stunning.

Anonymous said...

Great post, Cat. Lot's of things I never knew. Beautiful examples too.

Happileerving said...

Thanks for such a timely and instructive post about charm bracelets. I know that I treasure mine.

Unknown said...

Great article... interesting to learn about the history of the charm bracelet!

Caron Michelle said...

Always learn something new from you, great post and gorgeous pieces

RitaJC said...

Lovely post!

Unknown said...

I didn't know that about charm bracelets. So not only do I get a chance to comment, but I've also learned a few things. LUV the selection of pieces!

tjrjewellery said...

Interesting info Cat!

Kady said...

Great post, Cat! Love the bracelets!!

Unknown said...

Great post, as usual, Cat!