Monday, September 13, 2010

Interview with the Artist - Cat from Cat's Wire

By N Valentine Studio

Featured Artist – Cat from Cat's Wire, Germany

Cat is a talented wire artist, working with many different mediums creating unique woven and crochet pieces. My personal favorite of her pieces is the Sleepy Star pendant. A wonderful hand crafted polymer clay face surrounded with crochet wire, what a stunning piece.


Here’s a small look into Cat’s wire working world!


How long have you been working in your medium?
I started wire crocheting about 1.5 years ago. About half a year later I added knitting with a spool or with needles.

What drew you to this medium?
TV actually. I saw a report on German TV about Etsy, it sounded interesting and I started browsing. I stumbled upon a shop with wire crochet jewelery and after looking at it three, four times I decided I wanted to give it a try and was hooked immediately. No pun intended!

What is your favorite thing about your art?
I have so many possibilities! It starts with different kinds and colors and gauges of wire and ends nowhere … yet. I love to play and experiment and my art is perfect for that. Another thing is I can take it with me, on the train, into waiting rooms, to the park.

What's your favorite piece?
That is usually the piece I'm just working on. For now I'll pick my “Yarnie's Treasure” pendant, a little basket with balls of colored wire “yarn” and headpin “knitting needles”.




What's the hardest piece you've ever made?
The hardest piece I've ever made is a wire crochet sculpture, a miniature giraffe, I have not been able yet to part with it. It needed a lot of inspiration, patience, wire, nerves … and more patience.

What’s the one favorite tool you cannot live without?
My crochet hooks!

What other crafts do you do?
Besides crocheting, spool knitting or knitting with wire I have been working with polymer clay lately. I started out with beads and cabs that I like to combine with my wirework, but I also get more and more into making polymer clay miniatures.

Who or what inspires you?
I can't break that down to one or two persons or sites. My inspiration can come from a bowl of soup. I'm not joking, I'm just working on an idea I got from soup. Inspiration can be in a color, a shape, even a sound or a scent.

What's one thing you've never done you always wanted to do?
Craft-related? I would love to have a peek at lampworking.


Featuring artisan handmade creations by the Etsy Starving Artists jewelry team. SATeam members create handcrafted jewelry and beads. More information about our team and its current Etsy shop owner members can be found at SATEAM.etsy.com.

4 comments:

mcstoneworks said...

Fabulous feature on a fabulous artist. Love Cat's work.

Anonymous said...

It is nice to get to know Cat a bit more. That little knitting basket is ever so cute. Adorable.

tjrjewellery said...

Thanks for sharing Cat!

Unknown said...

I'm happy to see that Cat was one of the featured artists! She's a really nice person and she makes some really great pieces!