Tuesday, May 11, 2010

What do you see?

We all know it, we all have done it, I am sure. It's no competitive game and - as far as I know - it doesn't have a name. It's an outdoor game, you can play it when there's sunshine, you can play it in the rain. In my opinion it's the most fun when there is a little wind.
You don't need much to play it - just clouds and fantasy.

A cloud is a visible mass of droplets - cirrocumulus, altostratus, cumulonimbus incus, just to name a few kinds of clouds. Don't worry, I stole that from Wikipedia and won't go on rambling about it, meterology is not my favorite subject.

Photo by Simon Eugster

With a little fantasy, though, clouds can turn into something else - dinosaurs, flowers, faces, cars and much, much more. Two people can look at the same cloud and see two totally different things. And a bit of wind can turn that dinosaur into a kitten!
Of course that doesn't only work with clouds. Try it with the pattern on a rock (a nice piece of jasper or agate for example), try it with soap bubbles or how about getting courageous and try it with a plate full of scrambled eggs? Fantasy will lead you into a fun world - and sometimes it'll make you think you are strange, but that's ok if you don't try to sell the scrambled eggs on eBay ............

It also works for jewelry. I picked pieces from three team shops quite randomly and I will tell you at the very end of the post what I see in them. Maybe you tell us what you see before looking at my answers, so they won't affect yours?
Have fun!

#1
Tiny bubbles, big cocktail ring by The Family Jewels


#2
Free spirit, sterling silver freeform circle necklace by MC Stoneworks


#3
Sterling silver beach glass pendant by ROCKnWOW


The SATeam blog features artisan handmade creations by the etsy starving artists jewelry team. SATeam members create handcrafted jewelry and beads. More information about our team and its current etsy shop owner members can be found at SATEAM.etsy.com.

#1
I bet you thought I'd say bubble bath. Wrong! I see frog spawn. Since I was a child I have been fascinated by frog spawn and tadpoles. When my husband heard that my mother took my tadpoles that a 5 year old me had gotten from a neighbor boy away to set them free, he got me a bowl with some tadpoles so that I finally could watch the miracle of them turning into little frogs.
What a fun ring!

#2
It must have been the subject that influenced me now because I see a cloud!
Free spirit is a great name for this piece I think, what could be more free than a cloud? The next time I look at one, I might wonder about what spirit it carries ...

#3
I see ice on half a gingko leaf. I know that doesn't make sense, but when browsing the shops it jumped into my eye and the thought jumped into my brain.
And it's lovely!

7 comments:

Cynthia Newcomer Daniel said...

what a fun game! Like you, I also saw frog spawn; I had a pond when we lived in New York, and I loved watching the tadpoles develop!

Amy said...

Very fun!! SEe in number 2 I 'saw' a wide open fish mouth!! I'm weird I know!

Amle said...

1 I was thinking of the large glass balls I saw a juggler roll around in his hands. If you have seen the film "Labyrinth" you know what I'm talking about.
2 I saw a cloud too
3 I saw a butterfly break loose from it's cocoon

RocknWow said...

I remember seeing all the different transitions of frog, tadpole growing up. I'm wondering if I made the connection before seeing the nature film in science class?

Thanks for featuring my piece and inviting me to play along, Cat.

tjrjewellery said...

You are very imaginative Cat!

I saw:
1) soap bubbles
2) stone
3) butterfly wing

For You Jewellery Designs said...

That was fun!! And I saw frog spawn too :-)
Cheers,
Tasha

Unknown said...

caviar, a cloud, and a cocoon.