Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Spring unfurls her ribbon blue

I know it doesn't feel like spring everywhere already, but meteorologically speaking spring has begun yesterday, at least for the Northern hemisphere.

Spring unfurls her ribbon blue,
makes it stream in vernal breezes;
sweet, familiar fragrance pleases
with a touch the land anew.
Violets, dream-bound,
will be soon appearing,
- Hark, from far a silver harping sound!
Spring, it must be you!
You I have been hearing.

Translated by Bertram Kottmann

In 1829 Eduard Mörike, a Swabian poet, wrote these lines with which he speaks from our hearts, I think. Of course I have to be a fan of his as my old school is named after him. I'm not the only one, though. This is one of the most often quoted spring poems.


Spring - people are pulled out of their homes by the first rays of the still weak sun. You see them smile as you walk past them in the suddenly crowded city. It's enough to put a spring in your own step.
Spring is a new beginning, a promise to us that an unused, crisp year right out of the package is lying ahead of us. Anything can happen and of course we hope that it'll be something good.

People get inspired by spring, like Lissa Harlin when she made these lovely Spring Renewal Earrings.


The bird begin collecting twigs for their nests.
I wonder if these two just discuss the best location for theirs. At the moment you can find them at The Earth's Opulence.


The first flowers begin to push through the ground.
Some of them even made it onto this spinner ring by Two Silver Moons already.


Most important of all, I can go back to take my personal little break on the way home and sit down by the school gym to read a chapter, to let my mind wander and to watch the people going by and having a good look at the ladies' jewelry. These are the few moments I need between work and coming home to my chores and I missed them much during winter.

Welcome spring - good to see you around again!

P.S. The forecast is saying something about winter coming back?? Noooooooooooooo! I don't want spring to pack up her blue ribbons again!

Featuring artisan handmade creations by the Etsy Starving Artists Jewelry Team. SATeam members create handcrafted jewelry and beads. More information about our team and its current Etsy shop owner members can be found at SATEAM.etsy.com.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written post today, and lovely selections!

Anonymous said...

She is not allowed to pack her blue ribbons. Just returned from the garden and found lots of little crocuses. BTW your spring examples are really beautiful.

Marie Cristine said...

Very nice post, lovely jewelry.

tjrjewellery said...

Beautiful post Cat - well done! I like your jewellery selections!

mcstoneworks said...

Great post, Cat. Spring can't get here soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

RocknWow said...

The education of Kevin continues...I have lots to look up.